Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ISRAEL BLOG #2

July 11th
I arrived in Tel Aviv on Thursday evening and was impressed from the minute I landed. Due to my buddy pass I flew business which may have set my trip up for success. My friend Sharon met me at the airport and then my other friend Opher picked us up at the train station on his vespa complete with a sidecar! We were quite the sight riding past Rabin square with my luggage and Sharon in the sidecar. Sharon made many a friend at the stop lights. They would roll down their window to talk with her and since my Hebrew is not so good I just smiled and nodded. We arrived at Opher’s house and then he and I went to get a falafel at his favourite restaurant. Let me just say it was incredible! Hands down the best falafel I have EVER had. Tel Aviv is so much like NYC or Miami. I thought it would be so different. I’m not quite sure what I was expecting but this is so much better than my imagination. Everyone here is so kind and trusting of one another. It’s quite amazing. On Friday two Canadian friends of Opher’s came into town and the five of us went sightseeing. We went to Dizengoff St. and to the mall there. There is a huge international food event there every weekend. People from all nationalities cook food and bring it to this mall and setup shop. Sharon led me to the Persian area and we had some rice and chicken along with something that looked like collard greens but had a tangier flavour. It was really yummy. Then we all went to Nahalat Binyamin to see the arts and crafts festival. Friday afternoon everything shuts down around 5 o’clock for Shabbat. Very few things run in Tel Aviv. The city is not very lively until around 10pm. The Canadians and I walked to a neighbourhood called, Neve Tzedek. This neighbourhood is known for it’s architecture and is quite lovely. The Shalom Meyer tower is there. This is also where Rothschild street begins. We had a lovely dinner at a cute little sandwich shop and spent 3 hours on the patio discussing politics and religion. We then strolled back to Opher’s house on the way back we saw an outdoor sushi stand that we had heard about. It was packed! Next to the sushi bar was a few kids playing rock n’ roll. People were gathered all around just to listen. They were actually really talented kids.

The next morning was Shabbat and after having coffee with the Canadians and sending them off to Jerusalem I made my first trip by myself down to the local supermarket to get some fruit and then did what everyone in Tel Aviv does on Shabbat. . . went to the beach!! I had to sit under an umbrella the whole time but it was fantastic! The weather was beautiful and I met some of Sharon’s friends. They were lovely people who spoke some English and taught me some more Hebrew. I have been asking everyone to speak half and half with me. I am calling this Hebrish or in Hebrew, Angvrit. It’s working out well. I am definitely finding that listening to the radio and hearing people talk actually sounds like a language now. Prior to coming here it just sounded overwhelming and like gibberish. Now I can pick out words I know or words that sound like words I know. I am able to ask for directions in Hebrew and for things in restaurants. I’m already surpassing the knowledge I had when I got here. I have learned a ton of new verbs and nouns.

I have not met any religious friction like I was afraid of. I was a little nervous that if Jesus were to come up they would be done with me. Everyone has been very accepting of my beliefs which reassures me why I love this group of people so very much. It has been a true blessing. In fact on the beach today Sharon’s friend, Reina was telling me that she doesn’t know much about Christianity and would like to know what we believe. We didn’t go any further but I do sense a bit that maybe they only know what is sensationalized. There is a lot of misunderstanding on both sides. I feel like I am learning this to help clear up these misunderstandings. Without them I would not have my Jesus. Through studying their religion it has brought me closer to Him.

Later that day Sharon took me to a traditional Israeli breakfast. Here they eat breakfast at any time. We chose 7pm. It was fantastic. They give you a ton of little side dishes like, avocado, salmon, tuna, cream cheese, goat cheese, jam and butter and some eggs and Israeli salad. You just kind of put together whatever you want. The cheese here tastes so different. It doesn’t have any of the aftertaste I’m accustomed to. It is creamy and smooth. At dinner-breakfast Sharon and I had a great talk about our beliefs. She still doesn’t understand how someone can be Jewish and believe in Jesus. She agrees it would be harder to be my friend if I were Jewish. I told her that is the one reason I am glad for not being Jewish, I struggle to think of more. Everyone keeps asking me when I will convert. I have to keep telling them that I love their beliefs, their language and their Torah but I am captivated by Jesus.

So far this trip has been so educational and opportunistic. I was able to share my beliefs with the Canadian travelers, Opher and a ton of Sharon’s friends. I hope that through sharing I am able to clear up some misconceptions about Christians.

I wish that I could send out pictures but today at the beach my camera slipped out of my bag. I’m quite devastated but am trying to not beat myself up about it and just deal with the situation. I can’t let myself think about it to much or I get really upset. I had some good pictures on there and I worked hard to buy this camera. I know that it is only money but the pictures can’t be replaced.
I wrote this and then my friend Opher offered his camera to me last night. Everyone here is so incredibly kind and I am overwhelmed by a sense of trust that vibrates throughout this city. There isn’t a large fear of pick pocketing or crimes in any sense.

Today I walked from Tel Aviv proper to Joppa where Jonah and the whale took place. I met up with the group there and then we came back to the hotel for dinner. Justin had a lesson for us afterwards. We talked about how in Yeshua’s times the rabbis would have many students and by the time of 10 they would have the Torah memorized. Then the rabbis would pick the best of the best. If you didn’t make the cut you went back to do your family’s occupation. So when Jesus came walking by the Kenneret or The Sea of Gallilee (as we refer to it) that day, Simon and Peter were not the best of the best. This is amazing! Jesus wants the ones of us who aren’t the best of the best. Which is all of us. I also find interesting that Rabbis in this day did not search out their talmudim or disciples. The students sought out which Rabbi they wanted to follow, but Jesus did. He sought out these men just as I believe He seeks each one of us out. He searches my heart until He finds me, until I rest in Him. Yeshua does not let go nor does He give up on me. I may not be the best of the best but He sees me as a prize.

May you rest in knowing that in our father’s eyes you are a prize. May your heart feel captured and your spirit find rest. May the day to day problems fade away when you hear Him calling to you out in the midst of your life and may you have the courage to drop your nets and follow Him.

No comments: